The little village Annie and Kyle live in is Freihung. It's about an hour's drive outside Nuremberg. Diane and I wandered it together the first day and then Annie showed us around later. It is simply beautiful. Even in October, it was still green and lush, with orange, fallen leaves sprinkled about. It was cooler than I anticipated for much of the trip, but Annie provided extra scarves and gloves.
The people in Freihung spoke little English and Diane and I speak very little German, so our goal of withdrawing some Euros from an ATM was difficult. We finally found a bank and Diane was able to withdraw, but I had problems with my card. I later found out that the ATMs were trying to draw from my Share Savings rather than my checking. I ended up using my credit cards when I could and withdrawing Euros off my credit card at a bank. It cost more, but was easier at the time.
Annie picked us up and took us to the military base. We walked around in the drizzle, took some pictures of a very old cemetery, grocery shopped for our dinner plans, had coffee, checked out the happening bowling alley, Kyle's office and where Annie works at a lunch cafe. Back "home" Kyle made us dinner, we planned our next outings and had a dance-off playing Dance Dance Revolution on the Kinect. Great times!
To be continued...


No comments:
Post a Comment