We rented a 24 foot Rainbow, the same kind of boat we learned on. They tell us it's impossible to capsize this boat which makes me feel a little less nervous when the boat heels over in a strong gust!
I made Mikey take the helm both on the way out and the way in to the marina and he did a wonderful job. We practiced some skills, sailed down to point, "hove to" so we could listen to some music and eat lunch. Then we slowly sailed against the wind back in to the marina. It took 2 tries to dock but only because the employee wanted the boat facing a certain way.
We had a fantastic time. I love moving over the water and not having the sound of a motor roaring in my ears. I enjoyed taking turns with Mikey at being helmsman or operating the jib sheets. I hope this is (yet another) sport that turns into a lifetime hobby. We definitely need to practice frequently so we don't forget what we've learned and we need to find someone with a boat who will let us be their crew so we learn more as we go.
We are lucky to have the time, money and health to do these types of activities. I can't wait to take my parents out when they visit next week!
| The Chesapeake Bay Bridge |
![]() |
| We're really doin' it! |







Life's good, ain't it?
ReplyDelete