Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Kayaking! Outdoor Recreation!!!

We FINALLY had some warm weather this week and decided to go kayaking!  There are two sea kayaks at the house we rent, so Mikey and I loaded and strapped them on the 4Runner, bought a paddle since there was only one and made our way to Lake Tuckahoe.  It was much closer that we thought, only 40  minutes from Oxford and much more like a pond.  We checked out the little lake, surrounding creeks and campground before unloading and setting off.  

We started at the lake and went up the flat-water creek which was like paddling through a flooded forest.  The water was very shallow and we were surrounded by trees and wildlife.  Occasionally we'd take a side route, hit a shallow dead end and have to turn around.  


As we first entered the creek, Mikey spotted 4 big turtles on a log.  We quickly decided they must be fake turtles due to one being perched precariously up top.  Who would nail fake turtles on a log?  And then one moved!  As we floated closer 2 of the turtles crawled quickly off the log and plopped into the water.  That was just the beginning; we saw at least a hundred turtles on our float!  Baby turtles and granddaddy turtles.  Some had bright red undersides.  I counted 12 small turtles on one log alone.  It was awesome.  We also saw turkey vultures, geese, ducks, red-winged blackbirds, tanagers, and a small beaver who had no apparent fear of humans. 

Surprising as this might be, this kayak trip was my favorite thing we've done so far.  I really enjoyed being outdoors, on the water, surrounded by nature, away from people, alone with my best friend.  
I am incredibly excited that the weather is warming up and we have more outdoor activities planned: road biking, cruiser biking, beach time, camping, kayaking, hiking and SAILING.  Our sailing course countdown is now at 2.5 weeks.  We've been studying our books and trying to memorize all the terminology.  Hopefully our studying will help when we get to do it all in real life.  Can't wait!











Turkey Vultures (we think) 





An attempted beaver takedown




Lunch stop







This was one of the best playgrounds I've seen (and played on).  Mikey and I climbed completely inside one big tire and I was reminded of doing this same thing with my sister Jill when we were children in the school playground across from my Oma's house.  I wish my kidlets could come play here with me.  They would have a ball!




No comments:

Post a Comment