Friday, April 11, 2014

Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C. & 8 Year Anniversary!

It was as if the cherry trees delayed their peak bloom for us, just so we could enjoy them on our 8th anniversary!  The peak bloom is defined as when 70% of the blossoms are open.  This started on April 10th this year and the blossoms only last a few days.  It is impossible to predict exactly when peak bloom will be until about 10 days prior.  Unless you live close by, it is really hard to schedule a trip to align with the peak bloom.  We are so lucky that we live only 1.5 hours away and also that peak bloom started just one day before our anniversary!

We packed a blanket and crazy creek chairs, wandered around the tidal basin and Jefferson Memorial (with many other people!), and then settled down with our purchased picnic lunch near the live music.  People watching was the main event.  When the wind gusted, petals would drift down like snow causing excited children to run around, giggling and squealing with glee.  We enjoyed wandering, holding hands, and relaxing together on our blanket in the warm spring sun.

The blossoms were gorgeous.  It would be amazing to watch a time lapse video of the whole park in the weeks leading up to the blossoming.  I Google searched and found this one, and this, but they aren't of DC's blossoming and they don't do it justice.  I guess I want to watch the time-lapse blossoming in person...

Eight years.  Who would've guessed 8 short years ago that today we would be here in Maryland, together, happy and in love, travel nursing and living the dream?  I can't describe how grateful I am to have Mikey in my life.  He is my fun planner, my adventurous other half, my best friend, my listening ear, my cooking buddy, the person who knows me completely and still loves me.  We are each other's perfect counterbalance: his head is in the clouds and my feet are grounded on the earth.  We hold tight to one another so he doesn't float away in his daydreams and I don't get sucked down into the heavy worldly sludge.  He is my everything.  And I know how lucky I am.







































1 comment:

  1. The next best thing to being there, is having your favorite nursing pair go there for you! Awesome pics guys!!!

    ReplyDelete