My sister, Jill, is amazing at being pregnant. When she was pregnant in 2009, I remember her being very positive even through the pains and nausea of pregnancy. I think she has learned how to deal with pain and just keep going due to her having migraines most of her life. She is one tough woman. I was very grateful that this wonderwoman attitude rubbed off on my younger sister Carli since she was pregnant at the same time as Jill.
Jill was due on June 27th and at our June family celebration of family birthdays we googled "labor trigger points" for her feet and I rubbed them for an hour. Unsuccessfully. She liked the foot rub, but no labor.
She finally went into labor on her own the morning of July 1st. She had an epidural and when it came time to push, she asked me to be in the room to videotape. I love the perks of being the only nurse in the family! She didn't push for long, although she might tell you differently. Then, Baby Boy Brady was born! He cried and was pink and beautiful! Dakoda Scott Brady was 6 pounds even and 19 inches long. Shortly thereafter, Bostyn came in to meet her new brother, Koda. She loved him right off and was very protective of him.

Then, the rest of family came in to see the new addition. Uncle Ryan






Mikey and Koda in Lake Powell, Fall 2010
The fam at the Koda's 2nd Buddy Walk. Rachel Coleman from Signing Time performed and it was so cute and touching to see the kids with Down Syndrome get up on stage and participate in her songs and signs. When Rachel told the story of her own children and their struggles, there wasn't a dry eye in the place. I now record signing time on my DVR and it's the only kids show we watch when I babysit.


Summer 2010: playing with the kids in my parent's backyard





While Koda was in the nursery for observation and assessment, they found that his oxygen saturation was low and noticed some physical traits indicating the possibility of him having Down Syndrome. Since Alta View doesn't have a NICU, Koda gave a quick good-bye to mom and dad and then was shipped off to IMC hospital. At the IMC NICU, they did further genetic testing which later confirmed that Koda does have Down Syndrome. He was doing really well, just needing oxygen and taking really slow feedings. The doctors said his heart looked good, which was great news since people with Downs often have heart anomalies.
Koda had a ton of visitors in the NICU, probably more than mom and dad wanted to host, but you can't say that he wasn't already a very loved baby.

After a few long weeks in the NICU, Koda was finally able to come home on oxygen and pulse-oximeter, and then finally, free from all cables, cords and tubes!!!

Freedom!!!
When Koda was 2 months old, his parents set up a team for the Buddy Walk, a fundraiser for the Down Syndrome Association. Koda's team raised the most money of all the SLC teams! Go team Koda Bear!!!

For Koda's first Christmas I made him a rag quilt. It was supposed to be done by the time he was born, but I was a little slow.

I started tending both Koda and Lily in the spring of 2010. They were really cute together and played well, but it was still exhausting for me. I'd take them and Stanley for a walk in the neighborhood and that was the extent of our outings. I feel for people with twins!
I created this particular blog page so I have a lot of Koda's baby pictures in my book. He is an amazing kiddo and I am so proud to be his aunt. He couldn't have been born into a more loving, supportive family. His parents and sister are the perfect people to have Koda in their family and he is the perfect addition to our family. I love him so much and am enjoying watching him grow and learn.
At this time of this post, June 1st 2011, Koda is currently able to stand up in the middle of the room without aid and stay standing for up to 15 seconds!!! He also signs a lot, can say many words like hi, bye, baba, mama, dada, bossy, Koda Brady (kind of), and more if you encourage and listen closely. He loves playing with his cousin Lily, going up and down stairs, pulling over the fake plants at Grandma's house, singing, pat-a-cake, and dancing like a mad man on his back to funky loud music.
I love you so much Koda Bear!!!










You are an amazing aunt, but we've known that for awhile. Koda is so cute. We need to do a play date one of these Thursdays!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a cute post. I've been behind on reading your blog, but just have to say that I love this! You do a great job of writing things down with pictures. I love it.
ReplyDeleteThat was so sweet of you to write our story in your blog and all the sweet words about my little Koda bear and our family. I can't believe it took me this long to check it out!! You are such an amazing aunt and I LOVE how involved you are in my children's lives. Koda just adores you and im looking forward to each passing year and all the experiences we will all go through together. I love you to pieces!!!! Jilly :)
ReplyDelete