Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Backpacking in the Uintahs

Mikey, Stanley and I planned a two-night backpacking trip in the Uintahs.  Even though the last bit of our hike was in the rain, it was beautiful!!!  Mikey heard a dog howling through the first night, but when I awoke in the morning, I was positive it was a moose mating call.  He took an early morning hike with Stanley to look for the dog/moose, but was unsuccessful.  Later on in the day, we hiked in the same area and finally found the culprit of all that howling- not a moose, but a very sad looking Weimaraner.

She was very wary of us, especially Stanley, but I coaxed her to me with crackers while Mikey ran back to camp to get a leash.  I had to pull her down the hill and once back at camp, she ate, drank and relaxed a bit.  After examining her torn up paws and belly, we decided she'd probably been out in the wild long enough, so we cut our trip short and packed up to hike out.  (This decision was made easier for us due to the Young Women's group who chose out of all that wilderness to put up their camp of 30 people right next to us!  Literally, they had tents within 40 feet of ours.  Lame.)

Once we started hiking down, I think Little Miss realized we were rescuing her and was all for it.  Just when I started thinking we might've found an addition to our family, we arrived at the parking lot where we found a lost dog poster describing her.  It turns out she'd been lost for TWO WEEKS and her owner had come up several times searching for her and putting up signs.  We drove down until we had phone service and it was awesome to hear the relief in her owners voice when we told him we'd found his dog.  When he came to pick her up, Mikey realized he used to work with the guy.  Small world.  He offered a reward, but we declined, hoping that if we ever lose Stanley someday, our good Karma would bring him back to us.  

















No comments:

Post a Comment