This year, my first priority of our many yard projects was to create garden boxes. I bought a Square Foot Garden book last year and decided to make my own. Actually, Mikey built the boxes then I painted, and filled the boxes...
We filled the boxes with 1/3 compost, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 vermiculite.
I painted wood and we stapled them together to form a grid. Mel (of Square Foot Gardening) states that a garden without a grid is not a square foot garden.

Matt and Mikey installed the drip system and put in on a timer.
Then I planted! In each square foot you plant one, four, nine, or sixteen plants or seeds, depending on the size of the plant.
I planted flowers, strawberries, cabbage, carrots, onions, green onions, chives, rosemary, cilantro, parsley, thyme, oregano, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, a lot of basil, watermelon, butternut squash, beets, a few types of lettuce, broccoli, peas, green beans, jalepeno, bell peppers, spinach, and curry.
Mikey built trellises for the watermelon, beans and tomatoes to grow up.
The garden today is thriving and we are eating out of it daily. I adore my garden and love going out daily to make sure all the plants are doing well. My favorite part is that I don't have to water it. Gotta love drip systems!!!





No comments:
Post a Comment