Wednesday, January 12, 2011

U of U Gymnastics

My niece Bostyn turned 5-years-old on January 4th. For her birthday, I took her to the University of Utah women's gymnastics meet. She is in cheer and turning out to be an amazing tumbler, so I thought she'd enjoy the meet (and yes, I have an ulterior motive - I'd rather see her become a gymnast than a cheerleader. Sorry Jill!) We picked up Wendy's on our way (Bostyn's favorite fast food) and before we even arrived at the meet Bos asked, "Can we do this again sometime?"

They have fun activities for the kids before the meet starts so went early and participated in the poster decorating, got a purple poodle from the clown making balloons, and put a temporary tattoo on her face since we missed the face painting. When Bostyn saw the clown, she asked, "He's not a real clown, is he?" I wasn't quite sure what that meant... Since I think clowns are scary in general I told her that there's no such thing as real clowns - only people dressed up like clowns. She seemed satisfied with that.

We watched the meet and she was pretty impressed with the gymnasts' skills. The vault was her least favorite, but she really liked tumbling, the bars and the beam. When I told her how narrow the beam was and how hard it was to do tricks and balance on it, she said, "I could do that." She is pretty good at balancing.

During the second half of the meet, we ate our cotton candy and that's when her interest started wavering. We left just a little early to avoid traffic and crowds and overall, we had a great time. Happy Birthday Bostyn! I love you a lot!





1 comment:

  1. Love the pics!!! So cute. Bostyn was doing "floor routines" all night that night. She really loved going to the meet- that was a great idea. Thanks for taking her!!

    ReplyDelete