Each Christmas, I tend to procrastinate my gift buying/making until I suddenly stress out and jump on it. 2012 was no exception. I think a part of the problem is that I want each gift to be meaningful and heartfelt, which is pretty difficult when gifting to all our parents, each sibling, nieces and nephews, as well as neighbors and friends.
I was feeling pretty bah-humbug, partially because we didn't get a tree up and decorated until the 20th or so. After much stressing and brainstorming, I decided to craft something for my nieces and nephews. I started with my favorite poem, Desiderata, which is what I would recite if I ever gave a graduation speech. I found the poem in a cool layout online and printed it on colored paper.
I then used magazine clippings and other patterned paper I had collected over the years, tore them into strips and used Mod Podge to glue them one by one onto old frames I got at Savers. After they dried, I sprayed them with a shiny spray paint so they didn't feel so tacky to the touch.
I am super happy with how they turned out. I gave one to Zach, Mekare, Taylor, Lulu and Bostyn.
I felt like the poems were a little long for the "babies" so I chose a short part of the poem to print for them. For their frames, I used paint and sandpaper to make them "shabby chic" and then attached a ribbon for hanging. Somehow, I didn't take a picture of Lily's pink one, but here is Koda's:







No comments:
Post a Comment